Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oscar Nominations

Well, the Oscar nominations have been released! And some seem reasonable, and some not so much. So here are just a few of the nominations.

Best Picture:
Avatar
The Blind Side
Up
Up in the Air
Inglourious Basterds
District 9
The Hurt Locker
An Education
A Serious Man
Precious

Best Actor in a leading Role:
George Clooney in Up in the Air
Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart
Colin Firth in A Single Man
Morgan Freeman in Invictus
Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker

Best Actress in a leading Role:
Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side
Helen Mirran in The Last Station
Carey Mulligan in An Education
Gabourey Sidibe in Precious
Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia

Best Director
Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds
Lee Daniels for Precious
James Cameron for Avatar
Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker
Jason Reitman for Up in the Air

So, what do you think? What movies were missed and what/who doesn't even deserve to be there? Personally, I feel that Avatar doesn't deserve the Best Picture nomination or the best directing. It was a good film, but the story wasn't that amazing. Maybe The Hangover should go in it's place?
I also think that Brad Pitt deserved a Best Actor nomination for Inglourious Basterds. Why did he not get one? Who knows, but I do feel that he deserves one. But, I suppose it doesn't really matter what I think. What do y'all think about the nominations?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree about Avatar. A best picture nominee must master everything, and Avatar did not do that as far as storyline and acting goes. I also feel like The Blind Side (while a fun movie) is purely in that category to gain viewers...it's just a mediocre football flic. Brad totally deserved a nod, but at least the Basterds have Christoph Waltz and his groundbreaking performance to represent them in the best supporting actor category! I'm excited about that one. This blog is great, you guys. Keep the entries coming!
    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggie! I'm really hoping for a win from Inglourious Basterds. It's probably not likely, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete