Friday, February 12, 2010

Dear John

With Valentine's Day just a few days away I thought I'd write a review for a movie many couples will probably be seeing this weekend: Dear John. Dear John is about a young man in the military who meets a girl. The two fall in love and spend an amazing time together before he is deployed to Iraq, right before 9/11. The movie is based loosely on the Nicholas Sparks book by the same title which I haven't read, however, I've heard that the book and movie are a little different and many people who have read the book do not like the movie as much. I can't comment on that because I haven't read the book, but I did enjoy the movie.
I'm not usually a chick flick lover, but I have a special place in my heart for Nicholas Sparks books and movies. Dear John is no exception. The movie was extremely sweet and romantic and I'm sure most women will enjoy it. Men, on the other hand, may not like it so much. The movie is made for women. It's sappy and so romantic that many men will probably just sit and role their eyes while their girlfriends cry their eyes out: at least that's what happened when I went to see it. But, anyway, the movie itself was not amazing. But it did have so redeeming qualities. The plot was actually very interesting. Many romance movies are very predictable and at first glance this one appears predictable too. But Dear John actually surprises with a few twist and turns that will make almost anyone cry.
Another redeeming quality was the chemistry between Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried. The two were just amazing together. The way they looked at each other and the way they delivered their lines seemed so real, as if they were really a couple. The chemistry between the two whenever they were on screen together was just incredible. They both performed so strongly. They truly played their characters. They showed emotion and gave a tear-jerking and wonderful performance.
The thing I didn't like about the movie, however, was the ending. While it was realistic, it just left you without any answers. It made me feel almost like I had just wasted an hour and a half even though I loved the rest of the movie. The ending was just not fulfilling. Everything else about the movie was pretty good though.
Guys, if your girlfriend wants to see this, don't whine and complain. Take her. The movie isn't just a romance movie. It shows some cool scenes with the military and you even get to see a pretty cool explosion. And, also, if you take her to see this you'll definitely gets some brownie points because it is a real chick-flick.

Happy Valentine's Day!

-H

1 comment:

  1. "Dear John" is not a bad movie, but it doesn't work as it should either. If you want to see a truly moving film about prolonged love waiting to be reunited, go watch "Notebook," which was truly superb.

    ReplyDelete