Saturday, August 8, 2009

5 Best Horror Movie Remakes

Before I even get started, let me say that this list is not comparing the remakes to the original movies. Unfortunately, I haven't seen all the original versions of the movies I would like to talk about, so some of these entries will only be discussing the remake. Others, however, I will compare to the original, but I will not let that factor into my decision when ranking the movies. So here it goes: The 5 Best Horror Movie Remakes.

The Ring (2002)
The Ring is a remake of a Japanese movie called Ringu. I have actually seen the original movie and I must say that I thought it was terrible. However, that is not why The Ring made it on this list. To be frank, The Ring was terribly scary. The idea of a little girl crawling out of the TV (mimicking the modern fear of technology) is a very relevant horror movie plot making it more terrifying than movies that mimic older or outdated fears. The acting is incredible and the visuals are terrifying which all added together creates an intense and memorable horror film.

The Last House on the Left (2009)

The Last House on the Left is the newest of the remakes on this list. Unfortunately, I have not seen the original of this movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed the remake. The filming was gritty, very reminiscent of 1970's horror, and the violence was gory, but not in your face. However, I must warn anyone who wants to watch this movie, there is a very brutal rape scene that may be too drastic for some viewers, although, I believe the rape scene makes the movie all the more intense and disturbing.


The Amityville Horror (2005)

The Amityville Horror is another entry on this list that, unfortunately I have only seen the remake. The new version of this movie is very dark and disturbing. It is gory and in-your-face and just plainly disgusting, but it's a great movie for anyone who wants a true thrill. However, having the well-know, comedic actor Ryan Reynolds play the lead role of the man who goes crazy may not have been the best move on the casting directors part. It is hard to take Reynolds seriously as a villain although he plays the part well.



The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

The Hills Have Eyes is probably one of my favorite horror movies. It is dirty, gritty, gory, disgusting, and enjoyable all at the same time. The characters are likable, the villains are terrifying, and the plot is beautifully done. This movie is one that feels very realistic to the viewers. The way it is filmed makes the viewer feel as if they were in the desert along with the stranded family, experiencing all the terrors of a scorching desert.




Halloween (2007)

The original Halloween was one of the rare horror movie masterpieces that only come around once in many years. It was disturbing and original and had the public terrified. It seems like it would be a terribly hard movie to remake, however I think Rob Zombie did an amazing job with the new movie. The new Halloween was technically a remake of the original, however, to me it is more of a re-envisioning than a remake. Rob Zombie put his own twist to the story and created a dirty, brutal, and terrifying remake that I, personally, found more intriguing than the original. The movie is appropriately gory and beautifully filmed in the style of 1970's horror films. Rob Zombie has created an insanely interesting horror movie that is original despite it being a remake.
Well, there are my picks for the 5 best horror movie sequels. Agree/Disagree? Comment and let me know your opinions! I hope you enjoyed it!
-H

No comments:

Post a Comment