Friday, July 31, 2009

5 Best Horror Movie Sequels

It seems that horror movies really try to milk every movie franchise for what it's worth. Most horror movies that come out today are either sequels or remakes. Next month, two horror movies sequels are coming out that I'm really excited about: H2 and The Final Destination. In honor of those two movies I decided to make a list of the 5 best horror movie sequels. So here it goes: Enjoy!
5. Scream 2 & 3 (1997, 2000)
The Scream franchise doesn't exactly fall into the same category as most horror movie sequels. Scream was a planned trilogy from the The second movie was interesting, but I don't feel like it was completely necessary. The story really didn't further the first movie and it wasn't needed to explain the third movie. Basically it just felt like filler. However, I listed these sequels because the third movie was completely original and closed the franchise with the perfect, complex "twist" ending that explains who had Sydney's mother murdered and why.
4. Hostel: Part II (2007)

Hostel has probably one of the most brutal, gory, disturbing movie plots ever imagined. And Hostel II is even more disturbing than the first. It has a better plot that is much more disturbing than the first because of the whole good guy gone bad kind of theme. A young woman is taken hostage and then she turns on her killer consequently becoming what she was running from. Hostel II has some of the most brutal images I have ever seen, but it also made me laugh out loud in parts and the perfect irony used in the story.

3. Final Destination 2 (2003)

Final Destination 2 is probably the movie I've seen the most on this list. It is on TV all the time and I watch it every time I come across it even though most of the good parts have been cut out. Final Destination has one of the most creative plots I have ever heard and it actually played out pretty well to make a sequel. And personally, I think Final Destination 2 is better than the first one. The images are more gory, the ways people die are more creative, and the whole movie just works a little better to me than the first or third one did (it was actually scary while the other two were just entertaining.) Not to mention the fact that I get nervous every time I hear Highway to Hell when I'm in the car because of the opening scene of the movie.

2. The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007)

Okay, I absolutely loved the first The Hills Have Eyes. But, I decided to include the sequel because I thought it was pretty amazing too. Just the idea of being out in the desert, away from civilization, in the scorching heat is disturbing to me. And I've always had a fascination with cannibal movies. So The Hills Have Eyes is one of the most perfect horror movie combinations. The second movie centers around a group of soldiers out in the desert searching for some lost scientist. The soldiers are stalked by the cannibals and some fall prey to the killers. While this movie is very good, it doesn't work as well as the first one. Because the cannibals prey on a normal family in the first movie, it feels more personal and realistic to the viewer which makes it scarier. However, The Hills Have Eyes 2 is a well-thought-out, interesting horror film.

1.The Devil's Rejects (2005)

So anyone who regularly reads this blog is probably sick and tired of me talking about The Devil's Rejects so I'll keep this short and sweet. The Devil's Rejects is probably one of the best horror movies ever made. The images are amazing, the music fits perfectly with the story and the acting talents of Sheri Moon Zombie and Bill Moseley are just incredible. The Devil's Rejects is 20 million times better than it's predecessor House of 100 Corpses and I consider it to be a horror movie masterpiece.

Well there you have it: my picks for the best horror movie sequels. Hope you enjoyed it!

-H

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the one about Final Destination 2. I have only seen the 2nd and 3rd one though. Final Destination 2 was surprising. At the end when the boy blew up and his limb landed by the mom and she stated screaming:It was scary but hilarious at the same time.
    Posted by Kayla Holmes H's Friend :)

    ReplyDelete